ok, so this is how life works…

DSC_0339 DSC_0327 DSC_0329 DSC_0116 2 DSC_0324 DSC_0328 DSC_0335 DSC_0337 DSC_0336

in America…simplified by me. I think of America as a game of Monopoly. I grew up in the small State capital of Vermont–Montpelier. A town where all business were owned by my neighbors. Everyone knew that if we wanted Montpelier to thrive, we needed to support our neighbors. Easy enough, there were no giant Wal-marts there.

I am now living in Birmingham, Alabama. Privately owned business are few & far between. We’ve got the BIG DOGS here. The BIG DOGS are the corporations or the franchises that exist to support a very few. The BIG DOGS gobble up everything. Β In the game of Monopoly, the corporations cover the board. They make the rules & they have the money.

In my (little) mind, the only way to gain any ground in this game is to support our neighbors, our farmers, our soap makers, our Farmer’s Markets, our privately owned business. We can’t change the world, but maybe we can change our neighborhoods?

Some of these pictures are from the Farmer’s Market is a few minutes from my house, located at the Summit. These farmers come in with their locally grown food. I want them to gain ground & succeed. I want them not to sell the farm to the corporations so we can have another Wal-Mart or another ugly strip mall. I want my corner of the board to be full of successful people…we are all born to be good at something. Some of us are good at making money grow. Some of us are good at making food grow.

I know you can’t eat money.

1. Lovely post, lovely photos, wnderful concepts.

Tomorrow I harvest my first eggplant. My first bell pepper a few days later. It’s been a cool spring, but the veggies are really growing now. Hello, Amy!

Thank you, Alessandro. You are so lucky. I’ve tried eggplant, but we lack the sunlight in my backyard for such things as that. We do have banana peppers for our pizza though. I would love to see your garden, maybe you could post pictures of it? Hello, Alessandro! ❀ ~amy

2. Ed Spadoni says:

We’ll said and beautifully captured Amy.

Thank you, Ed. Just rambling. I find if i break life down into little pieces I don’t feel so helpless. So I’ll focus on my corner of the world. ~amy

3. graeylight says:

Reblogged this on The CityHippie and commented:
    Too perfect not to share!

WOW! You shared my post, that is the ultimate compliment, i think! Thank you so much! ~amy

1. The City Hippie says:

Well, great post!! 😘😘😘

Well, a great comment! Thank you, city hippie! ~amy

3. The City Hippie says:

Hahaha πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

4. graeylight says:

YES!!!! THIS!!!!!! Couldn’t have said it better and couldn’t agree more!!!!

5. Maverick ~ says:

Well said and displayed.

Thank you so much! Wonderful compliment. ~amy

6. SPFischer says:

Lovely post with a wonderful message. I feel as if I’ve just walked through your farmer’s market πŸ™‚

Hi, I’ve not been blogging very much, can you tell? You wrote this in MAY! Thank you for your compliment, SPFisher! ~amy

7. Very well said and very true. I avoid places like Walmart at almost any cost. They , probably more than any other corporation in America, are responsible for the demise of the small “Mom and Pop” business and in my mind this is a disgrace.

Oh, thank you so much for reading my rambling, Don. I am in complete agreement with you about Wal-Mart. So much money in the hands of that family & they pay their employees peasant wages. Shame on them. ~amy

Dom, you are a man after my own heart. My soon to be ex-husband LOVES walmart. I told my kids if they could pay their employees enough to feed themselves, i may venture inside once a year. I prefer “mom & pop’ stores, i want these neighbors to succeed because they are people who live in my city with me. ~amy

8. You’re 100% right, we can’t eat money! I’m there with you to support everything local! I’m happy here in White Rock because this community is very supportive of that! Looking forward to take some shots too at our farmer’s market this Sunday! Wonderful photos, I love that you included not only the produce but also the people behind. I will try to ask the farmers to let me take shots of they hands!

HI Eva…as you can see, i’ve not been blogging very much lately! Thank you for continuing to visit me. I’m in the middle of a divorce & having to work now, so i haven’t got time to play as much as i once did…although, i do hope when summer comes, i will have more time to blog again. ~amy

9. Reggie says:

I love love love your attitude and your commitment to helping farmers and small businesses, Amy. I wholeheartedly agree with it, and wish we could grow some of our own food in our garden too.

Reggie, HI!! I’ve been so busy, i haven’t responded to any comments for months & months. I’ve missed seeing your teddy bear on my comments page. AND thank you for reading this little bit of thought. ~amy

10. Beautiful photographs, beautiful words.

Thank you so very much for your comment & taking the time to read my post! ~amy

11. Well done! I agree. And your photographs are BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you so much, Debrazone! ~amy

12. pandoratears says:

The name of my town is Montpellier πŸ˜‰

Then you live in France? I wish i still lived in Montpelier, Vermont… ~amy