the treasure stands abandoned

DSC_0002 DSC_0004 2

my guess is that the owner cannot afford to fix it. Mother Nature has moved in despite the bars & chains on the door.

1. jpeggytaylor says:

That looks like it was a lovely house! It seems when humans, for whatever reasons, no longer tend or care for buildings, Mother Nature knows it’s time to move back in 🙂

2. It is beautiful! The color is bold, but I love it!

It is beautiful! I love that house. It is in downtown Birmingham, Alabama–looks very out of place at times, other times it looks like the best of Birmingham. 🙂

1. I know what you mean! There are houses in the cities close to me that look out of place as well. 🙂

3. Mother nature of the south moves in quickly.

Indeed. Kudzo can grow up to four feet a day. I don’t know what the green is here, but it is beautiful. ~amy

But it is almost made more beautiful by these creeping tendrils of green.

I agree, Karen. I wish I had gone around the side to show the true state of the house. But it makes me too sad to see it myself. The green is fantastic against the bright yellow. Thank you. ~amy

5. Jose Sola says:

Only nature can make an abandoned home beautiful again, colors always go together well.

The colors are perfect. I love that house. The sides show that it is falling down. I wish i could afford to buy it & restore it to its original beauty. Thank you, Jose. ~amy

6. It looks like small castle where Sleeping Beauty might be found if you brake the chains!

I’m afraid the house would collapse on top of Sleeping Beauty. The house is in serious disrepair! I would love to be rich & buy it & put it to rights. I LOVE it. ~amy

1. A beautiful disaster it is!

7. creekrose says:

looks very sweet as is, especially with the yellow plaster (??) walls . …

I think it is called stucco…is it made from plaster? It is falling down on the sides. Just the front remains solid looking. It is in the middle of downtown Birmingham…so out of place. I love it. ~amy

8. Great photos! There were many places like this in Merida, Yucatan. . . very large colonial homes that had fallen in to disrepair and/or abandoned

Thank you, Christopher. An amazing house, one that seems out of place in downtown Birmingham, Alabama. I wish it was mine! ~amy

1. It may be tied up in probate with no living heir or the heirs cannot afford to release it. . . that’s the problem in Merida. . . is it truly abandoned? The paint looks in good nick.

I think the front looks far, far better then the rest of the house b/c it sits in full sun. The rest is falling down. So, yes, it is truly abandoned. I like your guess as to why it sits untouched. Seems right. ~amy