DIY sculpture of a horse

IMG_0272

A few summers ago, I bought all three of my children these wooden puzzles at Michaels. It was summer vacation & i thought it would be fun for them. It didn’t take more than thirty minutes for them to finish. This horse has been sitting in my daughter’s bedroom ever since. I asked her if I could have it. I wanted to use the wood as a base on which to build the form.

I’ve been using plain white tissue paper & Mod Podge to give the wooden horse a real life look. It is an easy project to leave out & then work on it for an hour or so at a time. Mod Podge dries very hard for which to continue to build on.

These puzzles cost $1.00 or so. The puzzles come flat & need to pushed apart. They come in all sorts of animals & other objects. A great project that costs almost nothing but time.  I have a wonderful poem about ‘the horse’ that I am going to type up as a funky graphic design project. I will make several copies of the poem to use as the final application to its form.

1. amy says:

What a fantastic idea!

Oh, It is so much fun too. I can’t really be upset if I fail b/c it costs so little. I love horses, so I’m hoping it is worth posting the finished product. ~amy

2. lumar1298 says:

I want to see the finished product. I decoupage, but haven’t done anything in quite some time…

I will post the finished product soon & post it. I can’t wait to see if I can pull it off either! Thank you. ~amy

You are bringing this horse to life……can’t wait to see it! And I love the idea of the last layer being full of words and poetry.-Karen

I am enjoying myself immensely. I seem to know how & where to build the horse up. I wonder if its because I’ve got such a great love for them. I can’t wait to see how it looks either. Thank you, Karen. ~amy