happy 4th of July… American history, i’ll be brief

flags

Most of us, in America, will be celebrating the 4th of July holiday…unless you happen to work in a furniture store. BIG SALES! The 4th of July or Independence day was declared a federal holiday in 1941. The tradition of independence celebration goes back to the 18th century & the American Revolutionary War. In 1776, the 13 colonies (Delaware, Connecticut, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia) with their Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, a historic document drafted by Thomas Jefferson.

See? I was brief & simple. Ta Da!

But do remember hating the white man that came to our land? Do you remember the British coming to rule over us? Do you remember those awful Catholic Irish coming to this country? Ugh, what about those dirty Italians? Snooty French? The dirty Jews? The Japs? The Chinamen? The Middle East Muslims? Ugh, foreigners all.

They all came to this country to steal our jobs! Take our land!! Steal our daughters!!!

Black people were ok as long as the owners kept them under control, right? Do you remember this? north vs south

But then this happened to our great country...all men are created equal? Some of our ancestors didn’t think so. (how embarrassing…)

I don’t remember this. I just learned about it in history class. But now the Mexicans are coming to take our jobs, land & our daughters, right? Its all over the news. every.single.day.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” ~George Santayana wrote this in his book, The Life of Reason in 1905.

Immigration has alway been a hot topic throughout America’s history. So I decided to put the country’s flags of origin that are my children’s history. (I LOVE my children & I am grateful to all who helped create them)

I’m pretty sure that my children’s Great, great grandfather, who came to this country from Lebanon, would have strongly disliked their Jewish Great, great grandfather who immigrated from Lithuania. Or what about their 18 year old Great-great grandmother who immigrated from Scotland (BY HERSELF!?!), would she have liked my children’s Great-great grandmother from Italy?

I’m pretty sure if I could invite all my children’s ancestors to a party, it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience. (i picture the ancestors in the movie, Mulan…the bickering scene, i love that scene)

BUT. but, i also would like to think, that after they met their great (great, great…) grandchildren, they would have realized that the whole idea behind their coming to America (sing it, Neil Diamond) would boil down to THEIR one not-so-original thought

“We came to this country, so that our children’s lives would be better than our own.”

1. niasunset says:

Happy 4th of July dear Amy, love, nia

Thank you, Nia! ~amy

2. Anabel Marsh says:

Clever piece making an important point deceptively simply. Proud to see the Saltire in there!

Thank you so much for reading it, Anabel! I’m glad you understood the saltire. I was afraid i wouldn’t be understood. It is really simple. ~amy

3. trentpmcd says:

Nicely stated. Of course a lot of the people coming over the Mexican border are from Central America, but what you say is true enough. Like you I am an American Mutt, born of people from different lands, including some who reached these shores in the early 17th century.

I wrote it as ignorant as it sounds on the news & because that seems to be the whole idea behind immigration throughout America’s history. Yes? I think it would be really cool if everyone put their origins together, just once, to have everyone realize that everyone came from somewhere. My English great (?) came to Massachusetts in the 17th century too. Thanks for your comment, Trentpmcd. ~amy

4. But just like here in the U.K. nothing ever stops the ‘God of Retail’ for continuing its relentless journey of world domination! Enjoy the 4th.

Money rules, David. Greed…hopefully people won’t support these places during the holiday. Thank you for reading it. 🙂 ~amy

5. You are a true American.

Thank you so very much for that. That is how i see what American’s should remember! ~amy

6. Ditto the above, Happy Fourth!

Thank you so much for reading it! Happy fourth to you & yours. ~amy

7. That there was some good preaching! 🙂 Peace!

you made me laugh. Thank you for that. I was worried i would offend someone…i mean, i did offend everyone as the past did & I hoped that people understood why i did so. So thank you so much, Lilka, for letting me know i was understood. ~amy

1. That was a great post. You clearly made your point and it is a good point. I loved it!

I thank you again, Lilka! ~amy