predators abound

I’m a photographer.  I love taking photographs of people more then anything else.  I do not ask, nor post, any photographs of the people I shoot.  On a few occasions, my daughters have dressed up for a dance.  Stunning changes occur…sparkly dresses, jewelry, makeup, hair done, they look like super models. Super models to me because they are beaming with happiness & excitement, they feel both beautiful & powerful & that makes them shine. I love to see them feel that way about themselves in front of me. It is a time to celebrate life’s cherry on top.

To me, my daughters are beautiful everyday.  The everyday is jeans & sweat shirts with a pout…  Mostly school tests, a quiz or a fight with a friend or chores or everyday stress puts on the pout. The pout is seen at home.  I know they have a different attitude when in the company of their peers.  I can handle the pout, as long as it doesn’t come with a whine or a yell.  Home is where my kids can drop the act, the strength it took to be with others can be tucked away. They are safe to be themselves.  Safe.

But today.  Today, I was logged out of my blog. This happens to me sometimes. When I log back in, I see a page that I never see otherwise.  This page is interesting because it gives information in a different way.  I can see my top search engine terms.  The words people enter into the internet to find something or someone.  My second most popular search engine term was, “pretty sexy preteen girls”  The internet directed them to this blog.  To my daughters.  I am sick. I did this to them.  Me.

I am removing all images of my children.  I see the world through my own lens.  I WAS in the belief that I was showing portraits to friends & family.  I never got many blog likes on my personal photographs…always less then 20.  It wasn’t often that dances came about.  The shine I photograph will remain private from this day forward.

The wolves have come knocking.  When these animals search for “pretty sexy preteen girls” I hope they find a police officer or the Devil.

1. niasunset says:

I am so sad to hear what happened dear Amy. Thank you for sharing with us, this is important. Love, nia

1. 2me4art says:

Thank you, Nia. It was pretty rotten. I’ve met so many wonderful bloggers, I forgot that nonbloggers could find me. Love, amy

1. 2me4art says:

My fault. So many wonderful people I’ve met through my blog…You for one 🙂 that I assumed that is who would see them. I had blinders on. The girls are now off. Thanks, Gretchen. ~amy

2. rlogan1155 says:

My daughter has requested I post no pictures of my grandchildren unless they are at a distance or over wise unidentifiable. Just goes to show.
    Ruth from At Home on the Road

1. 2me4art says:

Yes. Your daughter is wise. My daughter’s portraits showed them in a different view then the everyday. I chose only to post them when they stepped out into the light for a dance. No one would recognize them in the everyday. However, I have removed them…I hope. ~amy

2. 2me4art says:

3. All my sympathy to your post. I believe in Internet freedom, but must be limits.

1. 2me4art says:

I believe in internet freedom as well. I do think anything involving exploiting children should have “red flags”. I guess that would be impossible. I got my girls off my blog, but I know they are still out there. Thank you, Charly. ~amy

4. Catwoods says:

Thank you for the warning, that is just terrible! I once changed the wording in a post because I just “felt” something might be wrong. After someone used search terms that included the word “text” I saw a sudden atypical spike in views. I typed the search terms into google myself and found my blog listed with a series of entries that appeared to be offering copyright-free material. I may have been mistaken, but I changed my post to be safe. Not nearly as horrifying as your experience, but nevertheless, not what we want for our blogs.
    Unfortunately, something has changed and now I often see “unknown search terms” listed; I’d rather know the exact terms used.

1. 2me4art says:

I had a feeling that I was logged out so that I may see that. In my regular viewing, I see “unknown search terms” & I think this page revealed what the “unknown” was. I am very grateful that I was logged out, so that I could fix what I had assumed, was going to viewed by the sweet people i’ve met through my blogging. Thank you for your comment. ~amy

5. kiwiskan says:

thanks for the warning. Quite horrifying

Yes, quite horrifying. Thank you for commenting. ~amy

6. trailblazer1 says:

I see friends on FB post kids pics all day long. Mostly very young ones, I am sure that pedophiles are trolling. Sorry this happened, any recourse?

1. 2me4art says:

Only thing I could do was remove all evidence of my daughters ever being on my blog. I think of FB as a more personal thing & I control who can see what I post. Thank you for commenting. ~amy

7. totally UNDERSTANDABLE…we mother’s always see our children as innocents. This is truly eye opening. There are a lot of creeps out there!
    BE safe!

8. I do not post any recognizable pictures of people on my blog and this is especially true of my family. The portraits I do for others remain special souvenirs only for us. I have different reasons for doing this, but your experience is yet another one.

1. 2me4art says:

In my ignorance, my daughters didn’t look like that everyday. I thought it would be ok to share these rare occasions. I have met some wonderful people through blogging & it was that reason I posted portraits of them. I will not do so in the future. ~amy

9. kcinaz says:

It is very sad that the creeps out there change the color of our lens. I am sorry that they have spoiled this part of your life. Put those pictures on your desktop rotation so you can enjoy them there.

1. 2me4art says:

I have my favorite printed as 8.5×11 color images above my desk. I’ve have met such wonderful people through my blog. To know that anonymous monsters viewed my daughters in this way was truly horrifying. Thank you for commenting & thank you for your advice. ~amy

10. Bin 100% deiner Meinung.

1. 2me4art says:

I wish I knew your language…but your 100%, I hope means you agree with my choice to remove my daughters. ~amy

11. Lucy Lulu says:

Oh wow. So sorry this happened. Sadly, the internet “world” seems it is becoming the more dangerous part of our world at times.

1. 2me4art says:

I agree with you about the internet world…i think because people can be unknown, the worst creeps can view things without consequences. There was consequences for me though…I took down my daughters. Thank you for commenting. ~amy

12. Tom Heuerman says:

I am sorry this happened to you. Thanks for sharing to alert others.

Thank you, Tom. It was pretty awful shock. ~amy

13. KerryCan says:

Wow. If that isn’t a cautionary tale, I don’t know what is! it’s good that you shared it here, just to remind people to think twice about what they post.

1. 2me4art says:

I read it out loud to my father yesterday. (No one in my family follows my blog except my husband & son) Anyway, I cried when i read it to him. It was awful to see that. Made my skin crawl. Thank you for commenting. ~amy